PTE Writing Essay | Top PTE Essay Writing Tips

PTE Writing Essay

PTE writing essay

Most of the PTE test takers find PTE Writing section difficult. In fact, even native english speakers feel that the writing section is somewhat hard.

A lot of us simply don’t know the”right” method to write an essay.

The most crucial point to comprehend about the”write essay” task is the fact that it has to be done as per a PTE-specific format. Adopting this arrangement will exhibit your ability to arrange written thoughts in a clear, logical and effective manner. English vocabulary will help you to make PTE essay writing task very easy.

PTE Essay Writing Tips:

Believe me, PTE Writing essay is a comparatively easy task. Writing Essay in PTE is much easier than writing an essay in IELTS. You may write the essay in PTE in 4 paragraphs like below. The essay in “PTE writing Essay” task would always be an argumentative essay in which mostly your opinion is asked about any situation or fact.

You may also have the structure of each paragraph as described below so that when you enter the exam hall, you already have you have superstructure ready for you.

First paragraph: Introduction (3 sentences)

— Second paragraph (body paragraph 1): Argument 1 (4 sentences)

— Third paragraph(body paragraph 2): Argument2 (4 sentences)

— Last or fourth paragraph: Conclusion (2-3 sentences)

Introduction:

Sentence 1: Background statement about the topic

Sentence 2: Re-write the answer using paraphrasing

Sentence 3: “This essay will discuss” … (conclusion from body paragraphs)

Body paragraphs (1&2):

Sentence 1: The Opening sentence about the point you agree/disagree with

Sentence 2: Support sentence which adds more information about the opening sentence.

Sentence 3: Evidence / example

Sentence 4: Closing sentence

Conclusion:

Sentence 1: This Essay discussed …argument 1 and argument 2…….

Sentence2: In my opinion , / In summary, / I concur /  ……(re-write the third sentence from introduction)

You have below 3 options to write an essay in PTE so that it will have a great structure:

Different types of responses for the PTE Write Essay task:

Option 1:

You may completely agree with the statement and then you can write both the body paragraphs as per your views.

Introduction (agree) –> Argument 1 (agree) –> Argument 2 (agree) –> Conclusion (completely agree)

Option 2:

You might completely disagree with the statement and then you can write both the introduction, body paragraphs as per your views.

Introduction (disagree) –> Argument 1 (disagree) –> Argument 2 (disagree) –> Conclusion (completely disagree)

Option 3:

You can be partially agreed and partially disagree with the statement and then you can write both the introduction, body paragraphs as per your views.

Introduction (agree /  disagree) –> Argument 1 (agree) –> Argument 2 (disagree) –> Conclusion (agree / disagree from two body paragraphs)

 

Important points for PTE Write Essay task:

  • Always try paraphrase using good vocabulary and complex sentences with correct grammatical structure while writing an essay in “PTE Write Essay” task.
  • Use at least 10 powerful words which shows your good vocabulary and command over the language. The below word list can be used for the essay.
  • When practicing, at least write 5 essays so that you will have an idea about time management. You just have 20 minutes to write the complete essay.
  • Read the topic carefully and write related to the topic only. Even though the computer is going to check, it can identify the off-topic essays.
  • Check all your spellings once before submitting the task.
  • Make sure you have only 200 to 300 words in the response for PTE write essay task.

Word list for “PTE Writing Essay” task:

to sum up, to conclude, vital, In my opinion, I think, In my view, I believe, I admit that , I completely agree with the idea of , I oppose, I concur, I cannot accept, I disagree, for example, namely, To illustrate, One clear example would be, First, firstly, secondly, second, finally, lastly, last but not the least, since, because, as, owing to, due to, additionally, moreover, furthermore, and , not only but also, also, as well as, hence, so, therefore, as a result of, based on, no matter what, according to, for instance, for this reason, subsequently, eventually, meanwhile, henceforth, initially, specially, despite, even though, on the other hand, by contrast, another opinion would be, still, although, alternatively, in particular, of course, specifically, deterrent, indulging, etcetera, progressing, important, appropriately, participation, involvement, parameters, views, opinion, thoughts, ideas, aspects, facts, in order to.

Scoring guide for PTE Writing Essay task:

Skills assessed: PTE Write Essay

Content:

3 = Adequately deals with the prompt.

2 = Deals with the prompt, but does not deal with one minor aspect.

1 = Deals with the prompt, but omits a major aspect or more than one minor aspect.

0 = Does not deal properly with the prompt.

Form:

2 = Length is between 200 and 300 words.

= Length is between 120  to 199 or between 301 to 390 words.

0 = Length is less than 120 or more than 380 words. The essay is written in capital letters, contains no punctuation or only consists of bullet points or very short sentences.

Development, structure, and coherence:

2 = shows good development and logical structure.

=  Is incidentally less well structured, and some elements or paragraphs are poorly linked.

0 =  Lacks coherence, and mainly consists of lists or loose elements.

Grammar:

2 = Shows consistent grammatical control of complex language. Errors are rare and difficult to spot.

1 = Shows a relatively high degree of grammatical control. No mistakes which would to misunderstandings.

0 = Contains mainly simple structures and or several basic mistakes.

General linguistic range:

>> 2 = Exhibits smooth mastery of a wide range of language to formulate thoughts precisely, give emphasis, differentiate and eliminate ambiguity. No sign that the candidate is restricted in what they want to communicate.

>> 1 = Sufficient range of language to provide clear descriptions, express viewpoints and develop arguments.

>> 0 = Contains mainly basic language and lacks precision.

Vocabulary Range:

>> 2 = Good command of a broad lexical repertoire, idiomatic expressions, and colloquialisms.

>> 1 =  Shows a good range of vocabulary for matters connected to general academic topics. Lexical shortcomings lead to circumlocution or some imprecision.

>> 0 = Contains mainly basic vocabulary insufficient to deal with the topic at the required level.

Spelling:

>> 2 = Correct spelling, but there may be one typing error.

>> 1 = One spelling mistake and or more than one typing error.

>> 0 = More than one spelling error and or numerous typing errors.

Task Type details:

  • The test taker has 20 minutes to write an essay on the given topic in 200 to 300 words.
  • Number of tasks: 1-2
  • Preparation time for the answer: 20 minutes

You may also like: Summarize written text

Leave a Comment