Super strategies for PTE Writing – Summarize written text:
- In order to score points for this task, you should aim to write only one sentence with 25 – 35 words (even though 5 -75 is allowed) in a correct grammatical manner using a good range of vocabulary.
- Do not write less than 5 or more than 75 words or in two sentences.
- Write only one complex sentence with good vocabulary and try to cover all aspects mentioned in the passage.
O.Use the below SUPER STRUCTURE for this:
O. When trying to write the complex sentence, try to join the sentences using FANBOYS :
F – For
A – And
N – Not
B – But
O – Or
Y – Yet
S – So
>> Use the words like “that”, “but”, “which”, “and” in order to connect the two sentences and making it more complex.
>> Don’t copy the whole sentence from the passage. Try to paraphrase it using good powerful words.
o. Method for time management in PTE Summarize written text:
>> Read (2 mins)
>> Write (7 mins)
>> Edit (1 min)
- While reading the passage, spend first 1 minute in reading the text and next 1 minute just ignoring the details. Try to find the main idea and key points.
- Write the sentence after noting down the key points from the passage.
- Make sure you start with a capital letter and end with a full stop.
You need to ask below questions and try to fit your summary in one of the below sentence structure.
>> Who did What.
>> Who did what, which did what.
>> Who did what that did what.
>> Who did what when who did what.
>> Who did what and did what.
Scoring guide for Summarize written text:
Skills assessed: Reading and Writing
- 2 = Provides a good summary of the text. All relevant aspects mentioned.
- 1 = Provides a fair summary of the text, but misses one or two aspects.
- 0 = Omits or misrepresents the main aspects of the text.
- 1 = Is written in one, single, complete sentence.
- 0 = Not written in one, single, complete sentence or contains fewer than 5 or greater than 75 words. The summary is written in capital letters.
- 2 = Has correct grammatical structure.
- 1 = Contains grammatical errors but with no hindrance to communication.
- 0 = Has defective grammatical structure which could hinder communication.
- 2 = Has an appropriate choice of words.
- 1 = Contains lexical errors, but with no hindrance to communication.
- 0 = Has defective word choice which could hinder the communication.
Task Type details:
- Candidates have to write a one-sentence summary of a given passage in 10 mins.
- How many?: 2-3
- Preparation time for the answer: 10 minutes
You may also like: PTE Writing Essay